Tuesday 12 October 2010

Who am I again?


Ok so after my pathetic attempt at an epic title for my blog, it’s time to introduce myself. My name is Kane Dainton and I was born and have lived in Leicester all my life. As much as people complain and loathe about it, I have enjoyed living here somewhat. Living in a rather quiet section of the city however, it has projected through to my overall personality, being rather reserved and laid back, allowing my imagination to be a large part of my entertainment. Other than that I have family and friends whom I love dearly and the variety of our interests and experiences has affected me in that I want to do just about everything in life. Not the bizarre obviously.

My father had a major interest in playing computer games during spare time, aside from fishing, and that ultimately influenced me. My household has had just about every single console known to man, from the Commodore and Atari all the way to current consoles. Having witnessed the evolution of consoles and increased technology requirements to live up to current competition, my eyes turned on the ‘graphics’ and visuals. I love how you can immerse yourself within a world that you know you can never experience in real life and that drew my attention to this course just before I started Sixth Form College. I wished I could create the next ‘big’ game and for me, art and imagination drove me to try and achieve this. Then again anybody can say this mushy ambitious stuff and I don’t usually like to come across like this because as much I try to be the best, I know I am not when I compare myself to my colleges. Only my progress and commitment with the software and art skills are what I would like to improve on for this year.

What else attracted me to this course? Well, before we had internet, our house is filled with magazines as, not only were we keen gamers we read a lot about the industry, reviews, hype and simply what was good and what wasn’t. It gave gaming more of a personality, so seeing critical games studies as a module I thought I could finally express my views.




If I was to have my dream job, it would be environment artist. Plain and simple. My Ideal Company? I love the works of Bioware who currently have an offer in that field. This means working for EA studios and looking at their requirements, not only do they expect good drawings and sketches but ‘solid technical skills’ being able to use, build and manipulate the ‘geometry of 3D spaces and components, especially organic and inorganic environments’.  This brings me back to course I am now studying in which visual design, straight away teaches single point perspective, an essential skill for working on environments, and organic forms such as trees you cannot ignore since we go out and about drawing as much as we can. Game production also covers the 3D aspect of it all, starting from the bare basics, as frustrating as it is to get to grips with in the beginning.

I won’t lie, my imagination definitely overrides my skills in the visual art department so, among anything I must develop on that and begin working at a higher, faster quantity in order to improve my quality. I must absorb every bit of help and criticism from my tutors and colleges and that is the bottom line. Serious talk aside, as much as this may be complex and scary and challenging and intimidating looking at others work, I am going to do my thing and have some freaking fun along the way. Hey? Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment